Manic Panic: How to Use
Manic Panic’s semi-permanent hair colour contains fortified herbal and protein complex, and features no animal by-products. Manic Panic Hair Colour can be used to achieve vibrant colours on pre-lightened or light blonde hair. Dark colours such as red, purple or green may be used to highlight naturally darker hair shades. It is always recommended you perform a strand test to see how the dye will look on you first.
Manic Panic Hair Colour Is Tested On Celebrities, Not Animals!
About Manic Panic:
- Manic Panic hair dye does not damage hair and contains restorative properties, acting as a conditioner that hydrates and “fills” processed hair.
- Manic Panic Hair Colour should be used exactly as supplied and described on the packaging. Do not add peroxide or other permanent hair colorants.
- Manic Panic hair colourants may temporarily stain skin and permanently stain the fabric of clothes, towels and bedding etc.
- Do not use with alkaline based products as these will upset the pH balance needed for maximum absorption of color by the hair. Low pH or non-alcohol hair products are recommended.
- Avoid contact with eyes and do not use Manic Panic Colour for eyebrows or eyelashes. If contact with eyes occurs, rinse out with warm water and contact a doctor.
How Much Do I Need?
BLEACH: Most people with average length hair purchase two bleach kits at a time. This should ensure you have enough product and if you don’t use the second you have it for touch-ups! One bleach kit is required for every 4-5 inches of hair, per process (average thickness). Please note: Leftover mixed bleach may not be saved and should be properly disposed of immediately after use.
COLOUR: Most people with average length hair purchase two 118ml. jars. If you have long hair or hair that is above average thickness you may need 3 or more! This should ensure you have enough product and if you don’t use it all you will have it for touch-ups! One container of hair color is required for every 10-12 inches of hair. (average thickness).
How do I colour my Hair with Manic Panic?
- Since Manic Panic does not damage or lift hair, the base color is essential to the end result. For best results, you will want to achieve at least a level 7+ blonde for many of our shades prior to colouring and a level 10+ for pastel and Neon/UV shades.
- Wash hair with a clarifying shampoo (do not condition) and blow-dry until fully dry!
- Get a t-shirt (that you don’t mind getting colour on), gloves, Colour, Mixing bowl, tint brush, towel, dye away wipes, and coconut oil (or other protective cream) for your hairline, and set up your spot! Make sure to be careful to avoid splattering dye on any porous surfaces.
- Perform a patch test.
- Apply Manic Panic Hair Colour evenly and fully saturate your strands making sure to work in small sections.
- Cover hair with a plastic cap (not necessary but can help with processing and clean up).
- Use a hairdryer to apply heat to your hair for part of the processing time (not necessary but can ensure hair follicles are primed for best absorption).
- Leave colour on for 30 minutes or longer. Since Manic Panic is non-damaging, you can leave it on for an hour or more!
- Rinse hair color with cold running water (making sure to avoid your eyes and face). Shampoo and conditioner are unnecessary since Manic Panic acts as a conditioner. Make sure to rinse thoroughly over the sink (but be mindful of where you rinse at it can stain porous surfaces)! To ensure most shades are adequately rinsed, rinse until the water runs almost clear.
- Towel and/or blow dry hair (make sure to use a dark-colored towel to avoid staining). Style as usual. Take on the world.
- Results will vary depending on many factors (the health of your hair, other colours applied previously, hair care routine, etc). This product should not be used for dyeing eyebrows and eyelashes. If eye contact does occur, rinse immediately with warm water and contact a physician.
- Maintain color by washing with a sulfate-free colour-safe shampoo & conditioner, using cool water. The more often you wash, the faster the colour will fade out so try to use dry shampoo in-between washes to prolong the life of your colour!
Do I need to Bleach my Hair before Colouring?
- Not necessarily! If you have naturally light blonde hair or even a light brown colour, there are some colours that can give you great results or a beautiful deep tint! Natural hair is healthy hair and that is great; however, it is far less porous than bleached hair. This is why even if your hair is naturally blonde, you will want to stick with more pigmented shades.
- Of course, applying Manic Panic Hair Color to pre-lightened hair is the best way to ensure that you will achieve the vibrant results that you see on our color swatches. For most semi-permanent hair colors, you’ll need to be at least a level 7+ pre-lightened for best absorption but lightening with our Flash Lightning Kits to a pale blonde will give the most intense results.
Which Colours show up the best on hair that is not prelightened?
- For more intense and longer-lasting results, try the above-mentioned shades in our Amplified Collection! This formula is stronger and lasts 30% longer! Some of the Amplified shades start out as pastels and will still be considered pastels even in amplified formulas but with more intensity
- Everyone’s hair will have different results depending on several factors but in general, the color will be more true to tone and vibrant on bleached hair. Our more pigmented shades will give brown hair a deep tint but the color will be more subtle.
Can I use manic Panic to Cover Grey Hair?
- Everyone’s hair is different and this is especially true with gray hair! Some grays can be more coarse and less porous (even though they are lighter in colour) and require pre-lightening or super pigmented shades to cover.
- The best way to find out if a colour will work for you is to do a strand test! If you apply a strand test and it doesn’t seem to be light enough, then you will know you’ll have to pre-lighten for best results.
Can I use Manic Panic during Pregnancy?
Since our colour is non-damaging with no harsh chemicals, you should be able to colour your hair in theory but you will need to contact your doctor regarding this just to be safe! However refrain from bleaching or using any harsh chemical products during pregnancy.
What type of shampoo should I use?
- Be sure to use a deep cleansing/clarifying shampoo before colouring (don’t apply conditioner). After colouring use a colour safe shampoo in warm water while showering.
- We recommend washing your hair in cold water when you do need to shampoo it, using dry shampoo in between regular washes, and avoiding anything that can strip the colour (like high-heat styling, swimming, etc).
- The more often you wash your hair, the faster your colour will fade but using the right products and best practices will help!
How long does Manic panic Colour Last?
- The way Manic Panic Hair Colour fades varies as it can be dependent on many factors! If your hair is bleached, for example, it will typically hold colour much longer than someone whose hair is unbleached. But if your hair is over-processed, it can mean your hair will have a harder time holding colour. It also depends on how often you wash your hair and the products you use to maintain your colour!
- Classic Creams can last up to 6 weeks on pre-lightened blonde hair. Amplified can last up to 8 weeks on pre-lightened blonde hair. Creamtone and pastel shades, typically last 2-3 weeks on platinum blonde hair.
- Hot Tip: If you’d like to add a few drops of a deeper colour to your pastel you can make them last a bit longer!
How do Fluorescent or UV colours work?
We have a variety of hair color shades that are UV-reactive or Glow Under Black Light. Specialized UV lights such as black lights cause fluorescent substances like some of our hair colors to glow. Please note that hair must be lightened to a level 9+ or higher for the UV reaction in the dyes to show up and work properly. If you mix a non-UV dye with it, this will dilute the UV effect.
Please Note: Not for internal use, avoid ingestion. Store in a cool, dry place. Avoid Freezing. Keep out of the reach of small children. For the best results, please use on porous, bleached, tinted or naturally light blonde hair. When applied to darker untreated hair, results may vary depending on hair shade and texture.